Tuesday, February 10, 2009

trip to the ALPS!

































































02.10.09
I arrived home from the Alps late Sunday night and it was a BLAST! We arrived late at night on Friday, around 10pm. We we got there it was snowing like crazy and we all got got off the bus and started playing in the snow! The bus ride into Vallouise was a little scary because it was snowing very hard and we were winding around a mountain… but we did make it! Our rooms were fine, 2 bunk beds with a bathroom, but with a gorgeooous view! The next morning we woke up bright and early at 8 am for skiing! I was QUITE nervous since the last time I skied was in 7th grade for a school field trip. We went to the bunny hill first, and somehow I didn’t even fall! My sking abilities magically came back to me and we skied all night and the next day as well! Lily and I decided to be adventurous and try sking all the way from the top of the mountain because everyone told us the view was breathtaking. It may have been one of the scariest moments of my life, BUT we made it down the mountain! I only managed to fall once. And by fall I mean completely wipe out face first into a five foot pile of snow. BUT I got out uninjured and made it down the rest of the mountain,


Saturday night we were served Raclette at the hostel, which was extremely delicious! We had this device that heated the cheese, and then you cut a piece of and put it over a baked potato with ham. That night all of us kids hung out downstairs chatting up our friend Pascal who owned the place. He was basically the bartender/owner/cleaner; he ran the entire place. He was hilarious and we had a lot of laughs. Sunday morning we skied a little, and then just hung out at restaurant outside drinking hot chocolate. I loved our trip! Some kids in our program were a little disappointed since I believe we were at the smallest mountain in all of the ALPS (there was only one chairlift….) but overall I think everyone had a blast. On the way home we watched the movie SCREAM in French! It was quite entertaining since none of us knew what was going on.

Vero was so cute when I arrived home, she screamed out “Ma BELLE!” She made me the BEST meal I have had yet! She calls it the “floating pizza” and it is made out of a very thin crust, with a layer of mustard, then tomatoes, then mozzarella cheese. Simply delicious. She said she would give me the recipe to share with my friends..YAY! She leaves for Paris Thursday and returns late Monday night. I am headed to Toulouse for a small day trip this weekend! Five girls and I are leaving Friday morning and returning late Saturday afternoon. I’m so excited to go somewhere on our own and have our first hostel experience! Saturday night a bunch of girls and myself are having a cute little dinner party and making fondue! It should be interesting since we don’t own a fondue pot but most likely will turn out fun!

Today, since I ended class at 11 o’clock, Tyra, Lexi, and I went exploring the town! Today was the last day for SOLDES (sales!) so I was on the hunt for cute shoes! They have two huge sales here, one in January and one in July, that last for around a month. I found two pairs of heels, and am quite excited to break them in!

School is still pretty easy, but I have my first test Monday! Our teacher told us nothing and when I asked her how many questions it was she laughed and said she will decide this weekend. Hopefully it is easy! This week in her class (Ms. A) we have had to act out the readings and even do a mini game of charades with French words. She made us redo it it we didn’t say the reading with the correct emotion..And this is supposed to be grammar class.. interesting! One boy in our class named Gia presented a small speech on the topic of his choosing today. He is from Vietnam and talked about how a first name is chosen there, and how most girls and boys are named after flowers (his father is named Rose). It was a little difficult to understand his French because of his accent, but it was awesome to learn more about his culture. This week I met a girl named Mariella in my class, who is from Cyprus. She knows little English, so we are forced to speak French. This has actually been really fun and I enjoy talking to her, even though it can be a little frustrating at times.

Hope you enjoy the pics!
BIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment