Friday, April 24, 2009

Part deux- GREECE!




















































04.24.09-GREECE!

Athens. Santorini. (April 13-18) Our flight was incredibly nice and relaxing, we were even served lunch! We arrived in Athens, took an hour and a half bus ride in attempt to find our hostel. We met a really cute woman who lives in Athens, but is originally from England, who explained to us how to maneuver around and where to buy ferry tickets. Even with her help, we got a little lost, and scored a taxi. Athens is so lively, and there is a ton to see and do! After meeting up with our other friends (Mare, Lexi, and Lauren) we made our way to the Acropolis and Parthenon. It was crazy to see something soooo old, and still intact. The views from atop were once again incredible of the city, and we stayed until it began to get dark.

We caught an early ferry to Santorini in the morning, leaving the port around 7:30am. It took 7 hours, so we arrived around 3pm and were greeted by the adorable family of Villa Alizia. The women who owned it were so adorable, and only spoke a little English. They were hilarious and would smile franticly at us from afar, and even made us breakfast in the morning. I don’t think any of us could believe we were in Greece, it was so different and I could live there in an instant. The picturesque views, incredible sunsets, and delicious GYROS (we quickly became obsessed with lamb and baklava), were only a few of the great wonders of Santorini. Our hostel was located in Fira, the capital city of the Island, and where most of the action was. That day, we took a boat ride out to a volcano and to some hot springs. The views from the volcano were amazing, minus the fact it started raining, but it cleared up quick! Maddie, Nick, and Lauren jumped into the ‘hot spring’ from our boat, in all of their clothes! We were not informed we were going to be able to swim, so I did not prepare/dress appropriately! They claimed it was freeeezing and that the hot spring was maybe near the means of ‘warm’. We were also able to take a two hour donkey ride around the city, thanks to our friends at Villa Alizia. It was so much fun, and at various points our donkey leader, decided to gallop away, kind of terrifying, but ridiculously fun. The night life was hopping on the island and it was great to catch up with our other friends and hear about their adventures. We rented ATV’s the next day, an incredible deal for only 15 euros for an entire day.


We explored 3 different beaches, including two black and one red sand beach. Driving the ATV’s may have been my favorite thing, even though they did not go that fast. We were able to see amazing views of the coast, and it was so easy to get from place to place. Our plans were interrupted when our ferry to Ios was cancelled, due to an ‘accident’ with another boat. Our delightful ladies at our hotel, told us we could stay another night, which was a relief! I’m so happy we had another day in Santorini, where we were able to explore Oia, and see the sunset (where they filmed sisterhood of the traveling pants!) and lay out on the beach. We actually all got a little color, since it was incredibly nice! Every dinner we had in there was absolutely delicious. We tried all of the Greek specialties, even the flaming cheese and ouzo! Santorini was incredible; I don’t think I can say it enough. AND I neeed to go back to Greece sometime/hopefully more than once when I am older. We took an overnight ferry back to Athens, where we got in around 6am. Only problem was that we could not check in our hotel until 10am, so we dropped off our bags and grabbed starbucks and chatted for a few hours. We split up after we checked in, since a few of us wanted to shop, a few to see the new Olympic stadium, and a couple to nap. I was involved in the shopping crew, and definitely did quite the shopping! There was so much to see and look at in all of the stores and even down the streets. We ended our trip with a delicious family style greek meal, and got a few hours of sleep before our adventure began in the morning! Waking up at 3am and getting home at 3am, was not ideal, but we did it! Overall, I am still incredibly exhausted, but I had the time of my life, with awesome new friends! I am very sad it is over; it literally went by so fast. Hopefully I will get to venture back to Italy and Greece one day!


Being back in France is a little crazy, since we haven’t spoken French in over 2 weeks and it seems like we have been gone for around a month. I was greeted by Arthur when I arrived home with 3 bisous, and it was great to see the fam! Vero came home later, but I was greeted first by her best friend, Katrine, who is in town from Strasbourg for the week. She is gorgeous, straight outta Vogue, and is very friendly. Vero told me Katrine is dating a man who doesn’t speak French, but only English and German. She doesn’t speak German, thus they speak English. This seems a little crazy, but I guess they are teaching each other! Quick update on Vero. She is now dating a man named Pierre, hence why she is hardly home! I met him before I left for break, and he seems nice, so I’m happy! I have received delicious meals so far this week through from her friend Katrine, since Vero has been out on some hot dates. ALSO. I half got scolded today. I was the last one to leave the house and locked both locks, out of habit. I somehow managed to forget that the boys don’t have the key to the top lock, thus they were locked out of the house! I felt bad, but it was an honest mistake, so nothing I could really do!
This weekend should be relaxing, since I’m staying here, and hopefully saving a little money! The weather is supposed to be nice, so hopefully we can spend the weekend at the beach!

CIAO my loves!
… I officially have one month left in FRANCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment